Steps To A Purpose Driven Passionate Life
I remember as a young girl I wanting two things more than anything else;
1. Internal peace for everyone around me
2. Unconditional love to be measured by how well I served.
I had no clue how to make either of these things happen, but I believed they were both possible.
My Mother use to tell me I was “unique and special’ because I was born on Christmas day. I like to think it was because like all of us, our lives have purpose and meaning, and children are born with an innate desire to want peace and love.
Things haven’t changed very much over the years. I still want nothing less for the world, or for my adorable granddaughter I’m holding in the picture above, than peace and unconditional love. The only difference today is that now its my life’s purpose to intrinsically BE peace and love rather than wish for it to magically happen.
Unless you act on a thought, it remains just a thought.
This is why I create a Day of Love for Women, have a school in Uganda for abandoned children, sit with people who are dying, etc… we MUST act on where our purpose is in life.
If you are fortunate enough to be reading this post prior to our DOL livestream event on Wednesday night (10/23), then you might find this information below quite interesting.
Janet Atwood will be on the next episode for Day of Love. Janet has taken hundreds of thousands of people through what she calls, The Passion Test process. The Passion Test has over 1000+ Certified facilitators in over 48 countries, so you know its a pretty important topic to many.
Here is a glimpse of what Janet shares on her blog:
Steps to Create a Purpose Driven Passionate Life
Learn to recognize what you’re feeling and apply the Expansion Process
Nature’s Guidance System is what we call the constant feedback we all get all the time–I’m feeling happy, feeling down, excited, exhausted, committed, confused. All of us have these experiences of “expansion” and “contraction.” They are a natural part of life; just like breathing. You can’t have expansion without contraction. Expansion is a signal to take action, move forward. Contraction is a signal to go within, take it easy, be kind to yourself and stop trying to achieve anything for the moment. Contraction is always a time to gain more clarity, to discover more so you become clear about what will lead to the next wave of expansion. When you feel contracted, this is the time to be gentle with yourself. Take time off, do things that are fun, let the inspiration for the next step of progress arise from within you. In our ebook, “From Sad to Glad: 7 Steps for Facing Change with Love and Power” we teach a simple process for returning to expansion whenever you feel contracted. Here it is in a nutshell:
– Notice – Notice when you feel irritated or angry or shut down or frustrated or tired or any other feeling that doesn’t feel good. These are all various signals that it is time to take a break. Until you notice, you aren’t conscious. Becoming a conscious creator of your life begins by noticing.
– Breathe – Take some deep breaths. Whenever you feel upset or distraught, your body will shift into fight or flight response, your breathing will become shallow and you’ll find it hard to remain calm. So take 3 or 4 deep breaths. Notice that your body expands as you breathe in and that this helps relieve some of the tension in your body.
– Ask to be Open – When you’re contracted, you’re more likely to say “No” than “Yes,” even to things that are likely to help you feel better. So ask yourself if you can be open to expanding again and consciously choose to say “Yes” to things you know will help you feel more expanded.
– Go into the Feeling – Feel the feelings that come up. Take some private space to sob or rage or express whatever you’re feeling. This is not the time to be with anyone else. Just be with yourself and feel the feelings that are there are as completely as you’re able. In this, you’ll find that your emotions begin to heal. And what helps that process is to do the next step at the same time.
– Feel the Sensation – Notice any tightness, tension, discomfort anywhere in your body and allow your awareness to easily go to that feeling. Your consciousness is incredibly powerful. As you put attention on the discomfort in your body, you’ll feel it begin to unwind and dissipate.
– Use the Tools – Tools are anything you know will help you return to a more expanded state. This is the time to make a state change (we all experience 4 states–mental, emotional, physical and spiritual). By shifting from one state to another, you will begin to naturally feel more expanded. So, if you’ve been working hard on a report, doing challenging mental work, getting up and taking a walk, or going for a run, or working out can have the effect of clearing the mind so you are even more productive. If you are emotionally upset, dancing, praying or meditating, or talking with a friend can all be ways to help you return to a more comfortable state. This is the time to use wonderful tools like “The Work of Byron Katie” (www.thework.com) that can help you get to the source of the discomfort and investigate the thoughts that have caused you to feel upset.
– Communicate Clearly – Maybe you’ve noticed that when you’re upset (i.e. contracted), that’s not the best time to communicate, especially with someone you love? Wait until you start feeling more expanded. Then use this 3-part approach to communicating with love and clarity.
* I love you – Begin with what you appreciate or value about the other person
* And – Use “and” rather than “but.” And connects while “but” separates us from the other. Ever have someone give you a compliment then have it get wiped out by the “but” that came after?
* I love me – This means to communicate your own needs. Having demonstrated that you appreciate the other person and their perspective, this is the time to make it clear what works for you.
Choose in Favor of Your Purpose
None of us are going to get it right all the time, so never be afraid to make a mistake. One thing that’s helped me remain clear about my purpose is that whenever I’m faced with a choice, a decision or an opportunity, I will inevitably choose in favor of my purpose and passion because I’m connected to what I care most about. You will experience the same if you choose in favor of your purpose too. Life feels like it has meaning then.
About the Author